Skip to main content

Review of The Winter's Tale performed by University Of Northampton BA Actors at Royal & Derngate (Underground), Northampton

While I had tremendous fun with Merry Wives two days before, I feared The Winter's Tale for one being Shakespeare and tow the fact it wasn't a comedy. This was bad enough for me, and then it turned out that it was Shakespeare doing Greek as well, which was another slight problem that had reared its head in the past. I don't do old language, I am with all this new stuff innit.

So I am afraid that I had trouble with this one, but never because it was of a poor quality. It was obvious that there was some superb, super strong acting going on. I commented in a rather ugly way during the interval that for me proper, giving it some welly acting brings the spit levels to the forefront. During Winter's Tale there was some epic spit moments, particularly during the first half where the truly big speeches came.

Giving it some real welly for me was the epic performance of Sophie-Rose Darby as the "doomed" Hermione. Her speech in court was quite staggering in every single way and one of the best moments I have seen in a University play. Also giving it some clout (hope you like all this proper language I am using) was Stephanie Waugh as Paulina, laying into the gentlemen in quite a way including the poor old downtrodden husband Antigonus (Charlie Clee). I have seen Charlie before in Masque and had absolutely loved his performance in Our Town. In this he bought a softness of character that I felt was pretty much otherwise absent from the very heavy first half, and I was sad to see his untimely demise. However what an absolutely surreal and well staged scene that was.

Although a smaller but pivotal role, I did enjoy Jack Alexander as Shepherd, and whether dealing with Perdita (Annalise Taylor) had taken its toll or not, he somehow seemed to be the only character to have aged in the sixteen years later second half other than Perdita herself, but she was a baby so that doesn't count. I am sure she wasn't too much trouble though as she was very sweetly played by Annalise.

Finally overseeing all the grief and bedlam is Jaryd Headley as Leontes. A totally solid and dominating performance as a generally unsympathetic character (putting it quite lightly), taking the emotions through all the foibles and generally horrible characteristics in an excellent way.

There were many more wonderful performances on show but I sadly had a little trouble sorting the names and people out for the others, my problem not theirs. If you haven't been mentioned, don't take offence. I shall no doubt glow over your performances in the future more manageable (for me) shows to come.

Finally we have what will henceforth be known a Beargate to deal with. Watching The Winter's Tale engineered two magic moments of emphasis as to what my Small Mind moniker is quite relevant. I first draw your attention to Exhibit A in my webpage title above where I steal the famous Shakespeare stage direction for my own nefarious needs. Well until I was informed by fellow theatre goers Mr and Mrs Mudbeast, I was unaware that it was in The Winter's Tale. Bill is see, eminently quotable, I give him that. Even if he isn't my friend. Not that I need to know where the quotes come from. Now Exhibit B is even more painful, it is never big or clever to hope that a man in the bear suit is in fact a polar bear rather than a panda bear, because you have mistaken the fact that a panda bear isn't a bear, when in actual fact you are thinking of a koala (not bear). This is embarrassing enough if it is in familiar company, but then when you bring it to the attention of the director during the interval, it is a veritable disaster. Fortunately I am big enough to realise my (many) mistakes and therefore I bow down on my confused bear knowledge. However I do blame the heat of the Underground for my lapse.

So a wonderful production with director Jamie Rocha Allan using the Underground space in a clever way. I haven't seen the main doors worked so much into a production, and actually I would have been fascinated to watch this from the outside to see all the maneuverings going on. Great stuff even if it is not quite for me but performers with much promise for the third year productions.


Performance reviewed: Saturday 6th June, 2015 at the Royal & Derngate (Underground), Northampton.

The Winter's Tale was one of twos shows being performed at the Royal & Derngate by the University Of Northampton BA (Hons) Actors between Thursday 4th June and Saturday 6th June, 2015

Details of both can be found here:
The Merry Wives Of Windsor
The Winter's Tale

Details of Royal & Derngate can be found by visiting their website at http://www.royalandderngate.co.uk/

Popular posts from this blog

Review of The House She Built at The Black Diamond, Northampton

Independent theatre company Nerve Theatre was founded in January 2025, when its first original production, Broken Party , took to the stage at Benn Hall in Rugby. That was followed the same year by a modern retelling of Frankenstein . Now, for 2026, Nerve Theatre founder Mia Ballard has written and directed The House She Built , staged for three nights at The Black Diamond, Northampton. The House She Built , set in 1950s Hollywood, is a dark thriller influenced by the lives of Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn and their treatment as women within the cogs of Hollywood. Our leading lady here is Nancy Carlton, who returns to Mellor Brothers Productions to make one final film. But something awaits her, and the scene is set for a period thriller that explores the grimy world behind Hollywood's apparently glamorous days. Michaela Clement-Hayes leads the cast as Nancy Carlton, the star troubled by her past, but returning to her old studio for that final mov...

Review of Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street at Birmingham Rep

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street first appeared in this musical form in 1979. Adapted from an original play by Christopher Bond, the work was set to music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, with a book by Hugh Wheeler. It quickly became a huge success, opening on both Broadway and the West End within a year. Following Tony and Olivier wins, the show has seen revival after revival over the years, as well as a musical film starring Johnny Depp. Now, Birmingham Rep presents its own pared-back version of the show, featuring some big stars of the theatre world. So, the question is, is Sweeney Todd as razor-sharp as it once was? What is clear to all at the outset is that director Joe Murphy, also artistic director at Birmingham Rep, has assembled a remarkable and bold cast for the show. Leading as Sweeney is Ramin Karimloo, whose bio speaks for itself and is the biggest draw for this show, especially for theatres outside London. His Sweeney is a perfectly brooding affair, broken...

Review of The Play That Goes Wrong at Royal & Derngate (Derngate), Northampton

It is scary to contemplate that it is almost four years since I first saw Mischief Theatre's The Play That Goes Wrong . It is no secret that on that night I enjoyed it quite a bit (and ended up on stage, but that is another story). I returned the next evening to watch it again and then stalked it down to London later that same year, which over three years later it continues its remarkable West End success story. Since my last encounter with this original, I have seen Chris Bean's ramshackle Cornley Polytechnic Drama Society create chaos on stage and television with Peter Pan Goes Wrong , mess-up Dickens' A Christmas Carol and even gatecrash BBC Radio at Christmas. This fourth encounter with the original The Play That Goes Wrong though, offers the opportunity to see it in the hands of a different cast for the first time. How can pretenders of the original creators shape up in this anarchic disaster of a play? Actually, as it turns out remarkably well. It is true that ...