Skip to main content

Review of the NMPAT Festival 2015 at Royal & Derngate (Derngate), Northampton

For over five hours over the nights of Wednesday and Thursday I managed to sit enthralled by the varied, fun and heartwarming performances of hundreds of local children. Organised with the help of Northamptonshire Music and Performing Arts Trust (NMPAT), Karen Bailey, Anna Carter and compered with panache by Leigh Wolmarans. This two night feast brought together the work of thirty six schools and groups to provide entertainment for everyone. The packed out audience certainly agreed as they all got into the spirit of supporting all the performances, even allowing for the fact that the bulk of them were perhaps generally there to support their own child.

In his opening speech Mr Wolmarans requested that we applaud them all, support all, there were no winners. I whole heartily agree, on these two evenings all those children that put effort into their performances, of whatever standard, were champions. These were not at home giving kids a bad name, playing video games, trolling on social media. These were the often forgotten army of those that do stuff.

I must not review this show in a manner of others because as already said there are no winners here, all are. I will however pick out a few moments from the two evenings which gives an example of the delights on offer. Opening both second parts on both nights, we were treated to two great body shaking rock performances from Northampton Rock School - Ground Floor and Corby Rock School - Take Them (to the Woods). They were both excellent, and if you would like to check out the former, they are on the Market Square stage at noon on Sunday as part of the Northampton Music Festival. Well worth catching.

Dance was a prominent part of the event also, with many leaning towards the street variety, like that from Beat Project Dance Company. Headlands gave us a combination of salsa, waltz and jive with their own live music and Eastfield Academy gave us a performance to Grease's We Go Together. Contemporary dance was also provided by All Saints CEVA Primary School and Nursery Unit, which spiralled off into more street towards the end.

There were numerous pure singing performances with Broadway Belles excellent interpretation of the "ultimate four chord song". The NMPAT Youth Choir gave an alternative take on a traditional choir with their performance of Nine to Five.

Finally we had some acting influenced pieces including Rectory Farm Primary School offering some Shakespeare, which for myself was thankfully diluted with some Michael Jackson Thriller antics. The final mention goes to Northgate School Arts College for their positively uplifting little piece based on the sublime Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time. Just wonderful.

Indeed the whole two evenings were wonderful. The perfect proof that all children of today should not be put into the same trouble causing, can't be bothered attitude and that these wonderful stars, everyone of them, gets out there and does something special. And on these two nights, very special indeed.



Performances reviewed: Wednesday 17th and Thursday 18th June, 2015 at the Royal & Derngate (Derngate), Northampton.

Details of Royal & Derngate can be found by visiting their website at http://www.royalandderngate.co.uk/

Popular posts from this blog

Review of The House She Built at The Black Diamond, Northampton

Independent theatre company Nerve Theatre was founded in January 2025, when its first original production, Broken Party , took to the stage at Benn Hall in Rugby. That was followed the same year by a modern retelling of Frankenstein . Now, for 2026, Nerve Theatre founder Mia Ballard has written and directed The House She Built , staged for three nights at The Black Diamond, Northampton. The House She Built , set in 1950s Hollywood, is a dark thriller influenced by the lives of Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn and their treatment as women within the cogs of Hollywood. Our leading lady here is Nancy Carlton, who returns to Mellor Brothers Productions to make one final film. But something awaits her, and the scene is set for a period thriller that explores the grimy world behind Hollywood's apparently glamorous days. Michaela Clement-Hayes leads the cast as Nancy Carlton, the star troubled by her past, but returning to her old studio for that final mov...

Review of making second Kontakt with the R&D Youth Theatre at Royal & Derngate (Underground), Northampton

As I said in my first Kontakt review, I wasn't really sure that I wanted to see this show. However come Sunday and a second opportunity to see it, I was genuinely looking forward to it. With the show now having departed, for my second review I will elaborate a touch more on happenings, which initially I shied away from as spoilers. My actor for my second encounter was 15 year old Michael. He had the enviable task unlike Michael before him of dealing with someone who knew quite a bit of what was coming. As those surgical gloves went on I this time was certain that the R&D were not going to overstep the boundary and do a full medical. I had also learnt that a crisp sandwich was something that should be left in the memory, so cheese was a much more sensible option. I was able to complete the calculation generally unaided and managed to express an exaggerated shock at the latter outcome. The game of Jenga managed to stay stable once again and rather amazingly managed to bring t...

Review of Legally Blonde at Royal & Derngate (Derngate), Northampton

As I settled down in my chair at the Derngate to see this touring production of the musical Legally Blonde , I generally had no idea what I was letting myself in for. Never having seen the film, read little up on the show, as is my want, and sitting in a clearly unbalanced gender demographic, this show was quite clearly not targeted at me. As the opening number, a catchy, but the incredibly screechy song, Omigod You Guys was performed, I was not, let's say, won over at first. However, it was clear that this just served as an overwhelming and ridiculous setup to the boldness of the show. The second number, Serious was a much better experience and genuinely funny song and throughout the tracks to come, there was much better to come. Our lead is Elle Woods (a charming, bubbly Lucie Jones), a typical caricatured blonde whose sole aim in life is to get the hand of her love in life Warner Huntingdon III (Liam Doyle). When he breaks up with her in pursuit of someone "serious...