Skip to main content

Review of Sleeping Beauty at the Looking Glass Theatre, Northampton

I arrived at St Peter's Church for Looking Glass Theatre's Sleeping Beauty slightly jaded and apprehensive for my third pantomime of the season. However I always love to support this little theatre and this years show had the bonus of having a quartet of those magnificent University of Northampton students that I get great pleasure in also supporting. The four on this occasion were Matt Larsson, Tara Lawrence, Nikki Murray, Ashley Thomas Sopher and they made a quite excellent and youthful quartet and showed surprising skills in the challenging art of pantomime (no doubt very useful to have on the CV).

Tara held the obvious affinity for working with children following her Flash Festival success the children's storytelling show and she has that quietly gentle style that offers no menace. Here she was once again joyful and even as a baddie in the second act remained playful. Ashley was quite a revelation as the dame of the show, playing up the part with glee and doing everything required of that pivotal panto role. Like all of the cast he had more than one role, but Nanny was were he had his moments of glory. Matt's best moment was as the wicked witch (another of many gender switches), egging the role with all his might and perfecting the hunched over menace with just the right amount of menace. Nikki's thigh slapping Prince was the role she made her own, dressed as a pirate, but most certainly a Prince!

All of the cast managed to switch between their roles effortlessly and also for Nikki had the interesting challenge of acting against herself in the clever use of pre-recorded material. This was seamless and provided like its use in Hound Of The Baskervilles, a nice added touch.

The set was once again simple, but again everything needed, I particularly loved the collection of painted backdrops. Music by Maurice Merry (recorded by Ian Reily) was also great fun and had a surprisingly retro feel for me. I felt like my old computer from the eighties was playing it and was in perfect style with the fairy tale realm,

Having seen the slightly less traditional Cinderella the day before, it was nice to see adaptor (and director) James Smith's much more wholesome version. I perhaps gained less myself from Sleeping Beauty than that more adult affair, however pantomimes are not for a miserable late thirties man and I looked at the assembled mass of children present and their enjoyment meters appeared off the scale at times, so this was the true success. Their screaming and enjoyment at Beauty transcended what I witnessed at Cinderella and for me that is where the success lies for a pantomime and why I personally feel Beauty is the better of the two.

««««


Performance reviewed: Wednesday 23rd December, 2015 (morning) at the Looking Glass Theatre, Northampton.

Sleeping Beauty is on at the St. Peters Church, Northampton until Sunday 3rd January, 2015.


Details of the dates and times can be found at Looking Glass Theatre's website at http://www.lookingglasstheatre.co.uk/

Popular posts from this blog

Review of The House She Built at The Black Diamond, Northampton

Independent theatre company Nerve Theatre was founded in January 2025, when its first original production, Broken Party , took to the stage at Benn Hall in Rugby. That was followed the same year by a modern retelling of Frankenstein . Now, for 2026, Nerve Theatre founder Mia Ballard has written and directed The House She Built , staged for three nights at The Black Diamond, Northampton. The House She Built , set in 1950s Hollywood, is a dark thriller influenced by the lives of Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn and their treatment as women within the cogs of Hollywood. Our leading lady here is Nancy Carlton, who returns to Mellor Brothers Productions to make one final film. But something awaits her, and the scene is set for a period thriller that explores the grimy world behind Hollywood's apparently glamorous days. Michaela Clement-Hayes leads the cast as Nancy Carlton, the star troubled by her past, but returning to her old studio for that final mov...

Review of making second Kontakt with the R&D Youth Theatre at Royal & Derngate (Underground), Northampton

As I said in my first Kontakt review, I wasn't really sure that I wanted to see this show. However come Sunday and a second opportunity to see it, I was genuinely looking forward to it. With the show now having departed, for my second review I will elaborate a touch more on happenings, which initially I shied away from as spoilers. My actor for my second encounter was 15 year old Michael. He had the enviable task unlike Michael before him of dealing with someone who knew quite a bit of what was coming. As those surgical gloves went on I this time was certain that the R&D were not going to overstep the boundary and do a full medical. I had also learnt that a crisp sandwich was something that should be left in the memory, so cheese was a much more sensible option. I was able to complete the calculation generally unaided and managed to express an exaggerated shock at the latter outcome. The game of Jenga managed to stay stable once again and rather amazingly managed to bring t...

Review of Legally Blonde at Royal & Derngate (Derngate), Northampton

As I settled down in my chair at the Derngate to see this touring production of the musical Legally Blonde , I generally had no idea what I was letting myself in for. Never having seen the film, read little up on the show, as is my want, and sitting in a clearly unbalanced gender demographic, this show was quite clearly not targeted at me. As the opening number, a catchy, but the incredibly screechy song, Omigod You Guys was performed, I was not, let's say, won over at first. However, it was clear that this just served as an overwhelming and ridiculous setup to the boldness of the show. The second number, Serious was a much better experience and genuinely funny song and throughout the tracks to come, there was much better to come. Our lead is Elle Woods (a charming, bubbly Lucie Jones), a typical caricatured blonde whose sole aim in life is to get the hand of her love in life Warner Huntingdon III (Liam Doyle). When he breaks up with her in pursuit of someone "serious...