Skip to main content

Flash Festival 2018: Persecuted by United-Force Theatre Company at Hazelrigg House, Northampton

It's perhaps a shame that the major talking point after United-Force Theatre Company's production of Persecuted is its final scene, and more so over the sheer realism of it, rather than anything directly related to the acting and writing of it. The shame is that it overshadows what is quite a brilliant piece of theatre in its own right, well constructed and superbly acted by the trio in the group, Alexander Forrester-Coles, Chris Tyler and Radostin Radev.

The date is 11th May 2005 and the Iraq War is no longer having the initial success that it had after destroying Sadam Hussain's regime. In a camp in Basra, Mohammed bin Osama bin Laden (Radostin Radev) is captured and under interrogation by commander James Farrell (Alexander Forrester-Coles), the good cop of the story, and Dan (Chris Tyler),  a Lieutenant, very much of the bad cop variety.

It's an ugly, but also a very vivid tale, claustrophobic and always intimidating. When the actors are not churning through the intimidation and attempt to break both Bin Laden, and us the audience, a cleverly constructed collection of video spreads further pain upon the audience. It's all very uncomfortable but brilliant as a result.

Then we reach the final sequence where, if the audience isn't already broken, we have one of the most challenging sequences of physical violence that I have seen on stage. This is full intensity, full contact, "stage combat", it is at times very challenging to watch, not because of what is happening story-wise, but the uncomfortableness of whether the performers are actually safe. I wouldn't had wanted to be involved in the health and safety and disclaimers on this one.

Even now, some considerable time after seeing the show, I don't feel comfortable remembering this sequence, and while, I am sure all great care was taken to stage it, and that is was safely achieved, you also have to consider the reaction to such things from an audience. It's fine to make an audience uncomfortable from a story, or sequences in a play, but not to leave them uncomfortable with potential injury from actual violence. Tyler might be a fighter in his other world, but the audience was not present to watch a real punchup on this occasion, and as I result, I concede myself, it made me very uncomfortable.

Persecuted though was still an excellent piece of theatre, the cast sublime with the ever-reliable Forrester-Coles once again assured, and brilliantly controlled as his character required. Tyler not only
looked the part of the fiery character, bent on revenge for his loss, but genuinely a very frightening performance. Radev meanwhile was a quietly calculating Bin Laden, feeling extremely confident despite his position, cold and oh so far from his recent performance as a bizarre elf. A classy turn of acting from all.

I admired Persecuted for its performances, and would never be disappointed for having seen it, however, that final scene will remain in my mind as a step too far. It was a poignant reminder also of a time period for the country as well, which set the scene for many problems to come.

Performance viewed: Friday 27th April 2018

The Flash Festival 2018 ran between Monday 23rd and Friday 27th April 2018 at three venues across the town.

Popular posts from this blog

Review of The House She Built at The Black Diamond, Northampton

Independent theatre company Nerve Theatre was founded in January 2025, when its first original production, Broken Party , took to the stage at Benn Hall in Rugby. That was followed the same year by a modern retelling of Frankenstein . Now, for 2026, Nerve Theatre founder Mia Ballard has written and directed The House She Built , staged for three nights at The Black Diamond, Northampton. The House She Built , set in 1950s Hollywood, is a dark thriller influenced by the lives of Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn and their treatment as women within the cogs of Hollywood. Our leading lady here is Nancy Carlton, who returns to Mellor Brothers Productions to make one final film. But something awaits her, and the scene is set for a period thriller that explores the grimy world behind Hollywood's apparently glamorous days. Michaela Clement-Hayes leads the cast as Nancy Carlton, the star troubled by her past, but returning to her old studio for that final mov...

Review of making second Kontakt with the R&D Youth Theatre at Royal & Derngate (Underground), Northampton

As I said in my first Kontakt review, I wasn't really sure that I wanted to see this show. However come Sunday and a second opportunity to see it, I was genuinely looking forward to it. With the show now having departed, for my second review I will elaborate a touch more on happenings, which initially I shied away from as spoilers. My actor for my second encounter was 15 year old Michael. He had the enviable task unlike Michael before him of dealing with someone who knew quite a bit of what was coming. As those surgical gloves went on I this time was certain that the R&D were not going to overstep the boundary and do a full medical. I had also learnt that a crisp sandwich was something that should be left in the memory, so cheese was a much more sensible option. I was able to complete the calculation generally unaided and managed to express an exaggerated shock at the latter outcome. The game of Jenga managed to stay stable once again and rather amazingly managed to bring t...

Review of Legally Blonde at Royal & Derngate (Derngate), Northampton

As I settled down in my chair at the Derngate to see this touring production of the musical Legally Blonde , I generally had no idea what I was letting myself in for. Never having seen the film, read little up on the show, as is my want, and sitting in a clearly unbalanced gender demographic, this show was quite clearly not targeted at me. As the opening number, a catchy, but the incredibly screechy song, Omigod You Guys was performed, I was not, let's say, won over at first. However, it was clear that this just served as an overwhelming and ridiculous setup to the boldness of the show. The second number, Serious was a much better experience and genuinely funny song and throughout the tracks to come, there was much better to come. Our lead is Elle Woods (a charming, bubbly Lucie Jones), a typical caricatured blonde whose sole aim in life is to get the hand of her love in life Warner Huntingdon III (Liam Doyle). When he breaks up with her in pursuit of someone "serious...