Skip to main content

Review of Feast Of Fools Storytelling #15 - Kevin Walker at the NN Cafe, Northampton

As across the country Andy Murray continued to be British and Wales returned to being Welsh again, the fifteenth Feast of Fools and the final before the summer break battled against these outside influences to fill its seats. Those that stayed at home on this night though, were to miss the delight that was this months guest Kevin Walker as he took to the NN Cafe stage (or not as he rather delightfully stayed with us at audience level).


Kevin Walker is the kind of teller that places you in the palm of his hand, calmly soothes you with his words, pats you on the head, tickles you under the chin, and then all of a sudden says totally unexpectedly the word "penis". This isn't to suggest that anything particularly vulgar was going on, however for the whole evening we had that perfect blend of traditional stories laced with just the perfect edge of adult subject to make it all just rather brilliant for a grown-up audience.

The penis in question (a first for me to write that I think), was that of Osiris and a classic tale featuring Isis and Set, which was to open the evening of hugely varied tales. I use the word varied with authority, as this evening had everything that I delight in from an open mic evening. We had the perfect mix of classic tales and modern ones, a favourite of which was that of a girl kept in a house by her father and a broken porcelain vase which never ended up as one.

There were many of these throughout the evening, and Kevin Walker told them all with a brilliantly relaxed style, perfected through the many years he has clearly crafted it. He was, I think one of my favourites that I have seen, and this is no small feat, as via Feast of Fools and the Royal & Derngate, I have been privileged to have seen many tellers of skill and variety.

No matter how exciting Murray or Wales may have been, Mr Walker provided equal excitement and intrigue in his tales, and if you ever get the chance to see him, he comes extremely recommended.


Performance reviewed: Wednesday 6th July, 2016 at the NN Cafe, Northampton.

Feast Of Fools is held on the first Wednesday of each month at the NN Cafe
Full details can be found at https://www.facebook.com/StorytellingFeast,Twitter @FOFStorytelling and website at http://www.storyfeast.uk/

Popular posts from this blog

Review of The House She Built at The Black Diamond, Northampton

Independent theatre company Nerve Theatre was founded in January 2025, when its first original production, Broken Party , took to the stage at Benn Hall in Rugby. That was followed the same year by a modern retelling of Frankenstein . Now, for 2026, Nerve Theatre founder Mia Ballard has written and directed The House She Built , staged for three nights at The Black Diamond, Northampton. The House She Built , set in 1950s Hollywood, is a dark thriller influenced by the lives of Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn and their treatment as women within the cogs of Hollywood. Our leading lady here is Nancy Carlton, who returns to Mellor Brothers Productions to make one final film. But something awaits her, and the scene is set for a period thriller that explores the grimy world behind Hollywood's apparently glamorous days. Michaela Clement-Hayes leads the cast as Nancy Carlton, the star troubled by her past, but returning to her old studio for that final mov...

Review of making second Kontakt with the R&D Youth Theatre at Royal & Derngate (Underground), Northampton

As I said in my first Kontakt review, I wasn't really sure that I wanted to see this show. However come Sunday and a second opportunity to see it, I was genuinely looking forward to it. With the show now having departed, for my second review I will elaborate a touch more on happenings, which initially I shied away from as spoilers. My actor for my second encounter was 15 year old Michael. He had the enviable task unlike Michael before him of dealing with someone who knew quite a bit of what was coming. As those surgical gloves went on I this time was certain that the R&D were not going to overstep the boundary and do a full medical. I had also learnt that a crisp sandwich was something that should be left in the memory, so cheese was a much more sensible option. I was able to complete the calculation generally unaided and managed to express an exaggerated shock at the latter outcome. The game of Jenga managed to stay stable once again and rather amazingly managed to bring t...

Review of Legally Blonde at Royal & Derngate (Derngate), Northampton

As I settled down in my chair at the Derngate to see this touring production of the musical Legally Blonde , I generally had no idea what I was letting myself in for. Never having seen the film, read little up on the show, as is my want, and sitting in a clearly unbalanced gender demographic, this show was quite clearly not targeted at me. As the opening number, a catchy, but the incredibly screechy song, Omigod You Guys was performed, I was not, let's say, won over at first. However, it was clear that this just served as an overwhelming and ridiculous setup to the boldness of the show. The second number, Serious was a much better experience and genuinely funny song and throughout the tracks to come, there was much better to come. Our lead is Elle Woods (a charming, bubbly Lucie Jones), a typical caricatured blonde whose sole aim in life is to get the hand of her love in life Warner Huntingdon III (Liam Doyle). When he breaks up with her in pursuit of someone "serious...