Skip to main content

Review of Sara Pascoe: Animal at Royal & Derngate (Royal), Northampton

I like Sara Pascoe a lot. There is something really endearing and innocent about her storytelling and performance. Even when she is talking about, and even demonstrating hand jobs.

This is only Sara's second tour and having had the pleasure of seeing her first last year, I am happy to see the style remains the same. Her stuttering, sometimes hesitant delivery really works for me, as it's a nice change from the often over confident feeling performers, who sometimes alienate rather than charm. There is also an apparent (but unneeded) wariness of interacting with the audience which facinates. Animal is a heavily prepared affair, that at mere mention of Winston Churchill and his history in India from the audience threatens to derail at any moment. However while Sara at first seems unsure how hatred of Tony Blair has moved her into one audience members loathing of Churchill, she eventually makes it work excellently, even slotting it perfectly into the arrival of latecomers expertly.

The tour title of Animal is loose in context, as the show moves through human life with anecdotes of the like that you are not really sure are true or not. One particular one relating to life insurance appears to be true as Sara allows an audience member to check a disheveled letter for proof. It makes a change from the constant suspicion that no anecdotes are really true. I suppose even comedians occasionally tell true stories in their acts as we all have strange things happen to us now and again.

There are many brilliant moments as Sara weaves us through ninety odd minutes of entertainment. You will leave aghast and never looking at an electric toothbrush the same again. The tale of the sparkly top is a cracker (and a moral one) and the burden of old people feels on this day that I write this even more appropriate (I will leave you to fill the blanks there).

Sara Pascoe is a really relaxing form of comedienne, never aggressive like some are, and although she is tremendously rude at times, it is never offensive and I detected just the single F word, which I always feel is used so lazily by modern comedians. She is brilliant and comes extremely recommended.

««««

Performance reviewed: Friday 17th June, 2016 at the Royal & Derngate (Royal), Northampton.

Sara Pascoe: Animal was performed at the Royal & Derngate (Royal) on Friday 17th June, 2016 only. Her website for future tour dates can be found at http://www.sarapascoe.com/

For further details about the Royal & Derngate visit their website at http://www.royalandderngate.co.uk/

Popular posts from this blog

Review of The House She Built at The Black Diamond, Northampton

Independent theatre company Nerve Theatre was founded in January 2025, when its first original production, Broken Party , took to the stage at Benn Hall in Rugby. That was followed the same year by a modern retelling of Frankenstein . Now, for 2026, Nerve Theatre founder Mia Ballard has written and directed The House She Built , staged for three nights at The Black Diamond, Northampton. The House She Built , set in 1950s Hollywood, is a dark thriller influenced by the lives of Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn and their treatment as women within the cogs of Hollywood. Our leading lady here is Nancy Carlton, who returns to Mellor Brothers Productions to make one final film. But something awaits her, and the scene is set for a period thriller that explores the grimy world behind Hollywood's apparently glamorous days. Michaela Clement-Hayes leads the cast as Nancy Carlton, the star troubled by her past, but returning to her old studio for that final mov...

Review of making second Kontakt with the R&D Youth Theatre at Royal & Derngate (Underground), Northampton

As I said in my first Kontakt review, I wasn't really sure that I wanted to see this show. However come Sunday and a second opportunity to see it, I was genuinely looking forward to it. With the show now having departed, for my second review I will elaborate a touch more on happenings, which initially I shied away from as spoilers. My actor for my second encounter was 15 year old Michael. He had the enviable task unlike Michael before him of dealing with someone who knew quite a bit of what was coming. As those surgical gloves went on I this time was certain that the R&D were not going to overstep the boundary and do a full medical. I had also learnt that a crisp sandwich was something that should be left in the memory, so cheese was a much more sensible option. I was able to complete the calculation generally unaided and managed to express an exaggerated shock at the latter outcome. The game of Jenga managed to stay stable once again and rather amazingly managed to bring t...

Review of Legally Blonde at Royal & Derngate (Derngate), Northampton

As I settled down in my chair at the Derngate to see this touring production of the musical Legally Blonde , I generally had no idea what I was letting myself in for. Never having seen the film, read little up on the show, as is my want, and sitting in a clearly unbalanced gender demographic, this show was quite clearly not targeted at me. As the opening number, a catchy, but the incredibly screechy song, Omigod You Guys was performed, I was not, let's say, won over at first. However, it was clear that this just served as an overwhelming and ridiculous setup to the boldness of the show. The second number, Serious was a much better experience and genuinely funny song and throughout the tracks to come, there was much better to come. Our lead is Elle Woods (a charming, bubbly Lucie Jones), a typical caricatured blonde whose sole aim in life is to get the hand of her love in life Warner Huntingdon III (Liam Doyle). When he breaks up with her in pursuit of someone "serious...