Skip to main content

Review of West Side Story at The Lighthouse Theatre, Kettering

Following an interesting journey, myself, Keith, Karl, Tarquin and three ladies (it was clearly a big car) arrived at Kettering to see the Theats production of the classic musical West Side Story. This was a number of firsts for me, with my first visit to The Lighthouse Theatre, the first time I had seen theatre group Theats and my first viewing of West Side Story.

Despite never having seen the classic musical before, I was overwhelmingly familiar with it through both the exceptional songs that come from it and the original Bard source. It is an extremely challenging show to stage I imagine with both the tasking songs and the famous dance routines that have cast its place in history.

For the most part, the amateur group Theats takes this challenge and wins, primarily with its casting of the two iconic leads Maria and Tony, in these roles Lauren Jones and Daniel Fortune form an exceptional partnership on stage and performing both their solos and duets with a confident ease. Lauren particularly (who I have seen once before in A Tired Heart & The Big C) has an amazing stage precense that belies her age and is assured of future success.

Another performer that I have seen before (a few times actually) and one who has never been a letdown is Susie Pack, who here provides a likeable, but equally perfectly troubled performance as Anita. Strong on stage (what slip?) and once again effortlessly holding the tunes. From the others, I felt Kevin Maltby was the strongest of the gangs as Action, and Carly Walker was huge fun as Anybodys.

Less successful and rather disappointingly are the Jets and the Sharks scenes, so key to the pace and drive of the story, these really end up playing rather pedestrian. The opening scene sucks the life out of the show at the very beginning, taking an age it seems to get going. Likewise, the first bar scene brings the whole show to a grinding halt as well with its slow pace, all making the first act really slow at times, and at 90 minutes, that's not what you really want. It is a shame as there are some great characters developed within by the cast, but the drama and aggression of the words rarely offer the true buildup to events. Many of the fight scenes though when they do occur are generally well staged, however, just getting to them is a bind.

There were also, unfortunately, a few technical issues going on, with occasional dodgy mics, or sometimes not even on, leaving some dialogue lost, especially when the music underscore is at work. It has to be said that the lighting also runs a gamut of being both brilliant and very poor on occasion with the switching of the green/red both working and occasionally clearly not and being very evident with the latter. Also, note to stage crew changing scenes, don't look at the audience, you know who you are.

There appears to be a lot of negatives going on here, which might suggest that I didn't enjoy the show. However, this isn't true. As already mentioned, the two leads bring so much to the show that it is never going to disappoint. Likewise, the effort of the whole cast makes the show special enough in itself. I take my joy from the little moments sometimes that I see on stage, like in the first act scene where a flower having fallen off a performer is neatly retrieved by their onstage partner, and then brilliantly brought into the character with a playful stage left moment with that partner. Moments like this show how performers get their character and these ancillary moments I love often more than where the eye is meant to be because it creates the whole picture and therefore world of the show.

At the end of the evening, it is clear that Theats have done well with a challenging show and while there are some issues and disappointment, both I and the absolutely packed audience simply loved it.

Performance reviewed: Friday 13th October 2017 at the Lighthouse Theatre, Kettering.

West Side Story by Theats ran at the Lighthouse Theatre between Wednesday 11th and Saturday 14th October, 2017. Details of Theats can be found at http://www.theats.co.uk/

For details about The Lighthouse see their website at 
https://lighthousetheatre.co.uk/

Popular posts from this blog

Review of The House She Built at The Black Diamond, Northampton

Independent theatre company Nerve Theatre was founded in January 2025, when its first original production, Broken Party , took to the stage at Benn Hall in Rugby. That was followed the same year by a modern retelling of Frankenstein . Now, for 2026, Nerve Theatre founder Mia Ballard has written and directed The House She Built , staged for three nights at The Black Diamond, Northampton. The House She Built , set in 1950s Hollywood, is a dark thriller influenced by the lives of Marilyn Monroe, Judy Garland, Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn and their treatment as women within the cogs of Hollywood. Our leading lady here is Nancy Carlton, who returns to Mellor Brothers Productions to make one final film. But something awaits her, and the scene is set for a period thriller that explores the grimy world behind Hollywood's apparently glamorous days. Michaela Clement-Hayes leads the cast as Nancy Carlton, the star troubled by her past, but returning to her old studio for that final mov...

Review of making second Kontakt with the R&D Youth Theatre at Royal & Derngate (Underground), Northampton

As I said in my first Kontakt review, I wasn't really sure that I wanted to see this show. However come Sunday and a second opportunity to see it, I was genuinely looking forward to it. With the show now having departed, for my second review I will elaborate a touch more on happenings, which initially I shied away from as spoilers. My actor for my second encounter was 15 year old Michael. He had the enviable task unlike Michael before him of dealing with someone who knew quite a bit of what was coming. As those surgical gloves went on I this time was certain that the R&D were not going to overstep the boundary and do a full medical. I had also learnt that a crisp sandwich was something that should be left in the memory, so cheese was a much more sensible option. I was able to complete the calculation generally unaided and managed to express an exaggerated shock at the latter outcome. The game of Jenga managed to stay stable once again and rather amazingly managed to bring t...

Review of Legally Blonde at Royal & Derngate (Derngate), Northampton

As I settled down in my chair at the Derngate to see this touring production of the musical Legally Blonde , I generally had no idea what I was letting myself in for. Never having seen the film, read little up on the show, as is my want, and sitting in a clearly unbalanced gender demographic, this show was quite clearly not targeted at me. As the opening number, a catchy, but the incredibly screechy song, Omigod You Guys was performed, I was not, let's say, won over at first. However, it was clear that this just served as an overwhelming and ridiculous setup to the boldness of the show. The second number, Serious was a much better experience and genuinely funny song and throughout the tracks to come, there was much better to come. Our lead is Elle Woods (a charming, bubbly Lucie Jones), a typical caricatured blonde whose sole aim in life is to get the hand of her love in life Warner Huntingdon III (Liam Doyle). When he breaks up with her in pursuit of someone "serious...